Tuesday, August 13, 2013

On Facebook today there was a giant discussion of "what are the worst songs"?  My contribution, comment #150 or so...

 This is a real survey on the worst songs?  This is such a vein to mine.  There are so many. Yeah, American Pie is up there, but if he'd kept it to 3 minutes it wouldn't be - maybe.  (Did you know Winchester Cathedral was written by the guy who wrote There's a Kind of Hush?)  For worst songs there is so much competition.  Today I listened to "Something in the Air," which I'd read about many times - back then I wanted to try the album, but had no record player or money at the time.  So when I heard it today, someone said it was in commercials and all over - pervasive, ubiquitous. And it was very familiar!  But I have no memory of listening to it EVER.  It bypassed my consciousness and got in without me knowing!  Now there's a catchy tune!  Like a virus.  So many "worst" songs.  Feelings.  I leave the room if I hear Jingle Bell Rock.  I left a dozen parties back in the 1980s whenever they played Prince stuff from Purple Rain - can't remember which one was the worst of that album.  Now any song that goes boom boom boom boom on the bass drum is an ordeal.  Skrillex and a thousand other DJs have made this stuff popular?  Oh hell, it started with Disco and never left.  Worst songs...How much is that Doggie in the Window.  God is on the bus.  Anything arranged by Mitch Miller.  Billy don't be a hero.  Seasons in the Sun.  I'd say Walking on Sunshine, but I've finally appreciated what great production that song has.  The guitar player did it, I think, and went on to other things.  Let's call the whole thing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment